Holistic Maternity was established in 2012 and the 5 year anniversary got me reflecting over the incredible experience of being a part of one of the most precious and intimate times in family life. Before Holistic Maternity was established, I attended births as a student and doula since 2009. So for 9 years I have been witness to the triumph and absolute glory of the human spirit.
Here are 9 things we can all learn from natural childbirth.
1. When we surround ourselves with people that wholeheartedly support us, we can do more and go farther than we could have imagined.
2. We must surrender to whatever is happening. Not in a 'giving up' attitude, but in a spirit of 'letting go' and acceptance in order to move on to the next phase.
3. Sometimes things are hard and we doubt ourselves, but we can still carry on even in the midst of this feeling. We can overcome self doubt and fears.
4. We all do things our own way and in our own time. We are on different paths and fighting different battles. We look different, our births and our stories are different and that is just fine. Do not compare yourself to others.
5. Its absolutely spectacular to be yourself. Holding in who we are and what we are feeling and appeasing everyone around us will stall us. Being polite can be taken to such an extreme that it diminishes us. Say what you need out loud and be yourself.
6. Art is amazing. Words cant always express all that we are feeling or capture the bigness of life. Expressing ourselves through our own art or examining the works of others can elevate our awareness of our own connection to others and deepen our experience of our lives. It makes life rich.
7. What we 'let in' matters. If there are people in your life that do not believe in you or who are consistently negative they can throw you off course, they can severely limit you. Its important to limit your interactions and time spent with these people.
8. We can interrupt a negative thought pattern to gain momentum in the positive direction we want to go. At anytime we can stop in our tracks when we are having a negative thought and intentionally change it, this will build momentum and can change the course of your life.
9. Be bold. Go for what you want in this life, step out, trust your gut. If you know there is a better way, go for it.
I could write a book on these things and of course there is so much more that I have learned from the families that I have served. But I would like to hear from you. What life lessons have you learned from natural child birth or if you are a midwife, what have you learned from your families? I love hearing from you. Write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org I love to read your comments.